TTCTwins

Trying for double!

Folate or folic acid?

Higher doses of folic acid is believed to increase the chance of twins. There is, however, controversy relating to the use of folic acid (synthetic) and folate (natural). All discussions relating to these dietary supplements should be posted here.

Re: Folate or folic acid?

Postby 1901 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:35 pm

Yes!!!! I can post a thread about it shortly!
SUPPORT TTCTWINS.COM by using the code TTCTWINS16 at checkout to get 10% off at http://www.cassavashop.com, the only place to find the best sweet cassava supplements, organic, all-natural, non-GMO, vegan, kosher and halal herbal supplements! Sweet cassava and more!!
Site Admin

Postby Csg82 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:54 pm

I got tested and have that exact mutation (MTHFR homozygous). I didn't know I had to take folate instead of folic acid, or is it the other way around?
Right now I'm on 5mg folic acid.
HOPING FOR TWINS :-)

Folic Acid 5mg
Pergonal 75iu
Pregnyl 5000
Metformin 500
Baby aspirin
Csg82

Postby 1901 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:01 pm

If you have the mutation you NEED to take folate. Folic acid is 100% unusable if you have the mutation.
SUPPORT TTCTWINS.COM by using the code TTCTWINS16 at checkout to get 10% off at http://www.cassavashop.com, the only place to find the best sweet cassava supplements, organic, all-natural, non-GMO, vegan, kosher and halal herbal supplements! Sweet cassava and more!!
Site Admin

Postby CMommy93 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:46 am

What if I don't know if I have the mutation? TTCT in 3 months so I just started taking folic acid! I remembered the response that said folic acid was linked to twins and not folate...
should I take folate then?? I'm confused now lol.
Wife and mother to 4 beautiful kids! S! 23-oct-2008, J! 15-dec-2011, E! 17-oct-2013, and C! 25-sep-2015 Wanting twins! I have wanted twins since I was 8!
CMommy93

Postby Hozelle » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:17 pm

I am not sure if folate has the same twinning risk as folic acid. I don't think the research has been done. However, I would assume that it would carry the same twinning risk as folate is The same as folic acid to the body in the form of vitamin b9. I plan on taking 4mg folate. I think if anything it will be more readily absorbed even if you don't have the mutation.
Pre-natal vitamin
Folate 4/5mg
CD 3 - 7 - Clomid 100mg
CD 8-O -robutussin & gonal-f 75iu
CD 14/O - Trigger 10,000iu
CD O-BFP - low dose aspirin

Open to proticol suggestions! Hope to start TTC Nov/Dec 2017. Waiting for AF to return due to breastfeeding.
Hozelle

Postby OnAMission » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:04 pm

Folic Acid is man made. So it is synthetic. They cant promise that your body will recognize it and be able to use it adequately. Folic Acid was invented to add to common foods, with the hopes of decreasing incidences of spina bifida. Studies have since shown it isn't near the miracle discovery they originally believed. It is very easy to create an environment in your body that will hinder or stop folic acid absorbtion. Drinking green tea can lower absorbtion rates. My cousin's wife worked in the medical field. She took folic acid prior to conceiving (for months to know her stores were good) but she drank almost exclusively green tea for years. Like since high school. Both of her oldest kids were born with spina bifida. I asked her about it and sent the link to her showing the study done. Her third is spina bifida free. The second baby didnt make it. :( I wonder if she has the gene mutation, probably. There has to be more factors than just her love of Lipton.
Kelsey, Kevin, Lily, Rose

-CONCEPTION PROTOCOL-
CD1-7: 20mg Tamoxifen, 100mg Clomid
CD8-10: 20mg Tamoxifen, 100mg Clomid, 50iu Bravelle
CD11: 10,000iu Trigger
CD13-First US: Progesterone Gel Vaginally

-SWAY PROTOCOL-
Month Before TTCT: Prenatals, Folate, Potasium, Calsium
Food: Bananas and Almonds often.
60-90 minutes before BD: Baking Soda/Water 2ml-5ml vaginally
60 minutes before BD: Musinex

B/B or B/B/B