TTCTwins

Trying for double!

Multivitamins can increase the risk of miscarriages!

Anything relating to dietary supplements (supplements that do not consist of herbals, but rather specific vitamins, mineral and nutrients) should be posted here.

Multivitamins can increase the risk of miscarriages!

Postby babybunny » Tue May 19, 2015 11:29 pm

I just learned about a huge Danish study where the results showed that taking vitamin supplements, especially multivitamins, prior to conception increased the risk of a miscarriage by around 30%(!!!), the risk increasing the longer you've been taking them regularly.

Although studies have shown that taking supplements while you are pregnant is good for the baby, taking the prior could possibly be the opposite, although more studies need to be done.

Here I was, dutifully taking a whole bunch, trying to decrease my chances of miscarrying by making a healthy uterine lining and I may have just done the opposite. Having previously had three miscarriages I am now worried... :( I stopped taking everything but vitamin C/B12/D and folic acid.

Just putting this out there for you other TTC'ers.
babybunny

Re: Multivitamins can increase the risk of miscarriages!

Postby 1901 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:28 pm

Personally, I wouldn't take one study as the end all be all. There have also been MANY studies that conclude that taking prenatals at least 3 months prior drastically reduces birth defects in babies. Do what you're comfortable with, but never base your decisions off of one study. ;-)
SUPPORT TTCTWINS.COM by using the code TTCTWINS16 at checkout to get 10% off at http://www.cassavashop.com, the only place to find the best sweet cassava supplements, organic, all-natural, non-GMO, vegan, kosher and halal herbal supplements! Sweet cassava and more!!
Site Admin

Return to General Dietary Supplements